This filling and warming soup has an impressive array of health boosting ingredients. It’s super simple to make and it can be frozen for the week ahead. Just pop it in an airtight container, freeze, thaw out and heat up in the microwave.
Here’s what you’ll need:
125g dried red lentils
3 tbs olive oil
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 inch piece fresh ginger grated
1/2 red chilli, deseeded & chopped
1/2 tbs medium curry powder
1 veg stock pod or 150ml veg stock
100g canned tomatoes
50g baby spinach
10g chopped coriander leaves
50ml coconut cream (I used Alpro coconut cuisine)
salt & pepper
2 tbs Greek or natural yogurt to serve
1. Put the lentils in a medium saucepan and cover will 900ml of water. Bring to the boil & simmer for 10 mins. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and fry gently for 5 mins. Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and fry for a further 2 mins. Stir in the curry powder and 1/2 tsp of pepper, cook for another 2 mins.
3. Add the stock, the lentils and their cooking liquid, the tomatoes, spinach and coriander. Season with salt. Cover and simmer for 5 mins, then add the coconut cream.
4. Whizz the mixture with a hand blender until the soup is almost smooth.
5. Garnish with finely chopped red chilli and yogurt. Serve, refrigerate for the next day or freeze for later in the week.